fbpx

|

4 people escape, 1 cat rescued after vehicle catches fire in Shawnee home’s garage

Share this story:

This story was last updated at 11:15 a.m., Tuesday, Dec. 21. 

Four members of the same family, along with their cat, made it safely out of their home in north Shawnee Monday night after a vehicle caught fire in their garage.

Firefighters from Shawnee, Overland Park and Lenexa were called to a house at 4940 Alden Road at 5:58 p.m.

Shawnee Deputy Fire Chief Corey Sands says family reported that one of their adult children home from college pulled one of their vehicles into the garage and noticed a fuel leak.

Sands said the vehicle caught fire before the person could back it out of the garage. The family tried at first to put out the fire with fire extinguishers, but the fire quickly grew and they ultimately called 911.

Arriving fire crews reported two vehicles on fire in the garage of the two-story house on the corner of 49th Terrace and Alden Road.

Shawnee house fire
An Overland Park firefighter carries a cat rescued from the home back to its owners.

The fire quickly spread to the structure of the garage.

Sands says firefighters were able to quickly bring the fire under control and contain it to the garage area.

Four adults escaped the house as they called 911. The family’s cat was also safely rescued from the home by firefighters.

The fire was declared under control shortly before 6:30 and then said to be extinguished by 6:40 p.m.

No injuries were reported. A damage estimate was not immediately available.

Check back with this report for updates as more information becomes available.

 

About the author

Mike Frizzell
Mike Frizzell

Mike Frizzell is a freelance crime and fire reporter who runs Operation 100 News.

LATEST HEADLINES