Elevate Organic Salon + Spa is now open in the small business heart of downtown Mission.
The shop offers hair and beauty care, along with massages and other service, with a special emphasis on creating a “welcoming and affirming” environment for clients.
Elevate is where Indigo Rose Salon used to be
- Elevate opened in October at 5420 Johnson Drive, in a space next door to Sully’s pub.
- The shop is hosting a special pop-up event later this month to celebrate its opening.
- Indigo Rose moved out of that storefront about a year ago to occupy a historic home in Merriam.
Shop moved from downtown OP
- Elevate Salon owner Jennifer Schouten originally opened her Overland Park salon in 2021.
- She said Elevate quickly grew out of that downtown space.
- The move to the larger Mission space, she says, has allowed her to add an in-house esthetician, a masseuse and a lash tech.
- Elevate’s gender-less booking menu is available online here.
Elevate aims to create a “safe space”
- Schouten said Elevate aims to create a space that feels inclusive for all clients.
- By the time their appointment is over, Schouten said, clients should have a sense of “radical self acceptance.”
- “[Clients should feel] love and acceptance from us, but that they should actually walk out and feel it for themselves,” Schouten said.
Schouten stocks “low-toxic” products
- She opened her own practice inside another salon eight years ago with a goal of using low-toxicity produces, after learning ingredients in some hair product lines may be are carcinogenic.
- “That made me feel terrible,” Schouten said. “Not only am I working with it all day long, but I put it on people and I felt this responsibility to make a difference.”
Go deeper: Learn more about Elevate’s pop-up shopping event on Sunday, Jan. 29.